Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Snibor Eoj
Date/Time: Mon, March 5, 2001 at 5:32 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.75 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: Another .org owner

I don't really have much new to say, but this is a case where a "me too" is worth the expenditure of bytes.  I just bought a .org domain a few months ago, and went through the whole hassle of changing my email address, letting everyone know how to contact me, and that this would be the last time I'd ever need to get a new address.  I bought a .org instead of a .com precisely because it was where I belonged.  I'm not a .com, and didn't want a .com domain, because it wasn't appropriate.

If ICANN actually does go through with this, I will be horrified, to say the least.  As someone else here (at least one someone else, probably more) has already pointed out, while we give ICANN power, it is by the grace of the geeks that they rule.  If they insist on revoking people's domain ownership, someone else will probably start up their own root name server, and some sysadmins will switch to the new one, and then more, and eventually ICANN will be lost and forgotten.  (I have seen this situation compared elsewhere with egcs vs. gcc, and I don't think ICANN wants to go down that road.)

If anyone from ICANN is reading this, consider me one more voice raised in protest against this whole debacle.  I urge you to reconsider, for the good of us all.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy