Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Fu
Date/Time: Thu, March 8, 2001 at 3:34 PM GMT (Thu, March 8, 2001 at 7:34 AM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Rewarding early customers by stripping away their domains

I've had a two letter .org domain for 5 years now.  I'm a person, not a company, not a network provider, not an educational facility, not a government body.  When I registered my domain, only .com, .net, .org, (and of course .edu, .gov, etc.) were available.  Now, hundreds of people have my email address at my domain (not to mention a few spammers too many).  In addition, in the spirit of .org, I've given a sizeable number of other people email addresses, webpages, etc. on my domain.  ICANN is suggesting that we might lose that domain, because they and Verisign need a way to make themselves look good and detract from the fact that NSI, a Verisign(TM) company, will still hold a monopoly on the TLD database despite massive public support for distribution of that database.

To make matters worse, ICANN is suggesting that the new TLDs will make this less of an issue.  Guess what, several of the new TLDs don't allow two letter names, and the rest charge $2500+/year for a two letter domain name.  Sure, that's supportive of me, the individual domain holder....  ICANN would be basically forcing me out of my domain, and my internet identity.

Guess what ICANN - forming a new TLD, like ".npo". and restricting that to non-profits (not to mention more rigourously defining that term) is not only a smoother route, disrupting fewer domain holders, but is also a much more publicly acceptable way to go.  Of course, ICANN has done a great job of showing in the past that they don't care much about public they're supposedly serving....

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy