Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Dassa
Date/Time: Wed, March 14, 2001 at 2:54 AM GMT (Wed, March 14, 2001 at 1:54 PM EADT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Seperation of Registrar and Registry functions

Under the new proposed contract there would not be any requirement to seperate the Registrar and Registry functions.

I tend to reject any proprosal that eliminates this directive on the following grounds:

Personally I feel that there is too much commercial activity associated with the domain name system at the Registry level.  It is my belief that the Internet as a global community would be best served by having all the Registries for the TLD's administrated by community entities, be they government or socially sponsored.  A large number of the ccTLD's are already administrated by community entities under the approval of the local government.  I would like to see all gTLD's administrated in a similar manner, not by commercial entities who may not have the best interests of the Internet as a major concern but who are by definition bound in their obligations to stock/share holders.

I would like to see all Registry and Registrar functions seperated with each TLD Registery administrated by a non-profit organisation, not just the .org Registry.  Commercial interests should only become involved at the Registrar level and below.

To me, such a structure would ensure the global representation necessary for all stakeholders at the Registry level.  Such Registries for each gTLD would take some time to organise but as we have seen with the formation of ICANN, is not an impossible task.  Each Registry would be committed to delivering a consistant standard of service and open to all ICANN approved Registrars.

The Internet is a global resource and I perfer to see the major components of the resource handled by non-profit globally orientated organisations that have as their sole concern the continued operation and growth of the resource.

In essence, I disapprove the new proposed contracts for the reason they lock ICANN into a specific form of resource management that we will find increasingly hard to change.  I would like to see some effort put into introducing change now under the existing agreement for when the opportunity arises for the changes to be put into effect.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.       

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy