Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: memzo
Date/Time: Thu, March 15, 2001 at 9:42 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: VeriSign extension

Giving one company a monopoly on the dotcom master list seems to run counter to the nature of the internet, placing too much power in the hands of one company and leaving too much room for abuse.  As a recent example, I received an e-mail from VeriSign just a few days ago advising me that my domain name would soon expire.  They offered a ten-year extension for $210.  I took the offer. The next day I was notified, counter to the come-on in the e-mail, that the "extension"
began the day I accepted the offer and not on the anniversary of the domain name's expiration, thereby reducing the "10-year extension" to some unknown period and requiring me to pay $250 instead of $210.  It took three days of threatening e-mails and a final phone call to VeriSign to resolve the problem.
     If there were greater competition in domain name registration, I doubt that VeriSign would have sent out such a shoddy and misleading
e-mail.  Those of us in business on the internet have enough just dealing with spam without the additional burden of cleaning up after
VeriSign.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy