Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Hunter
Date/Time: Fri, October 27, 2000 at 4:21 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: How does the applicant propose handling multiple people with the same name?

I believe that the time is right for a personal name registry, however I do not believe that this proposal addresses a serious issue which is that of inclusively - it cannot offer EVERY applicant a memorable personal address.

How will the registry offer a memorable address to multiple people with the same name? There are over 10,000 people in just the UK with the name 'John Smith', how many of them could have a .nom address.

Clearly, 'John Smith' is a worst case name, but in the UK there are over 100 people sharing even the 40,000th most popular full name. Since the US shares a similar nameset to the UK I would guess that even with the introduction of middle initials and forenames there will not be enough names to go around.

This application proposes 10 options, but of these only options 1, 7, 8, 9 look usable (are formats surname.middlename.name, middlename.surname.name or forename.middlename.name actually attractive?) and options 2 and 3 exacerbate the problem by overloading other names (ie if 'Steven Martin Anderson' is allocated 'steve.martin.name' or 'martin.anderson.name' then all that has happened is that the options remaining for someone called 'Steve Martin' or 'Martin Anderson' are reduced)

Whilst nicknames can be used to increase the number of available domain, these will only really be attractive to young people. Those over 30, or those who want to use their personal domain in their professional lives are unlikely to want to use nicknames.

I believe that this is a key issue because if a personal name registry can only offer an attractive domain name to the first handful of individuals with each name then

a) it is not a global naming resource open to all
b) there will be a fast 'land grab' when the registry is opened up because there will demonstrably only be a restricted number of attractive domain names

Could Global Name Registry please explain how it proposes to address this.

Thank you

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy