Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mikel5
Date/Time: Fri, October 27, 2000 at 6:37 PM GMT (Fri, October 27, 2000 at 2:37 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: No, all current two character gTLDs are RESERVED for ccTLDs

Actually, all current 2 character codes, including those you refer to, are allocated for individual countries by the ISO-3166 standard.  Those countries you cite have opened up their ccTLDs for commercial use worldwide -- either by themselves or by licensing use of the ccTLD to a for-profit company.  Nothing wrong with that.

The issue is consistency and organizational use.  ICANN does not control assignment of the 2 character ISO-3166 codes.  (At least I don't think it does.)  As the ccTLD constituency uses these codes for their country TLDs, there would be political issues if a country wanted a particular ISO-3166 code, the code is unassigned in ISO-3166, but was already in use as a gTLD by a commercial entity.

The issue I have with 1 character gTLDs is that they are not descriptive and, when embedded in e-mail or web sites, are not easy to read.  The purpose of introducing new gTLDs should be to allow more use and more ease of use of the Internet.  I do not believe allowing 1 and 2 character **commercial** gTLDs serves that purpose.

I do think the *goals* of having a .yp gTLD are excellent.  I just don't believe that a 2 character extension should be taken away from the ccTLD constituency.  If a geopolitical group wants to apply for .yp and then license it to be used for "yellow pages", that is their business.

Finally, you're the first person to attack me for being in a business too long after only 6 months!  You assume too much.

--
Mike Lampson
Senior Programmer
The Registry at Info Avenue, LLC.
Disclaimer: My employer is a current Registrar.  Neither myself nor my employer are affiliated with any gTLD application.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy