Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Mikey
Date/Time: Thu, November 2, 2000 at 5:58 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: BROAD support for a mobile TLD

Apparently this kind of a mobile TLD would be really important!

I was kind of wondering about that, so I looked around and found this press release by the UMTS Forum. That's the international association of all those companies who are developing the future "Universal Mobile Telephone System" (UMTS) so it's not like this application is about grabbing something for the applicant itself, but instead working together with all the other ones doing the same stuff they are. The headline of the press release says quite a lot:
NEW TOP LEVEL DOMAINS 'CRITICAL TO SUCCESS OF UMTS'
- Mobile multimedia users will need a unique name & address, says Forum
There's a press release with their views on the issue at http://www.umts-forum.org/press/article046.html
(I've linked it below.)

While writing this and following the discussions, I see there's some action here around this application and more support coming in. Sounds convincing to me! As a mobile owner, I really hope the net and the mobile world will be able to function seamlessly together, so that we'll actually get all those cool mobile internet services that have been discussed over the past few years! Wherever I look nowadays, there's an article about "the mobile Internet coming". If this ain't IT, what is?

Mikey

Link: NEW TOP LEVEL DOMAINS 'CRITICAL TO SUCCESS OF UMTS'

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy