Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: PhilBerent
Date/Time: Sun, November 5, 2000 at 11:53 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Reply and Request for Affiliation

You say:       
“It is my understanding that the Idomains application addresses this issue by forcing the end user to produce proof of using this domain for a legimiate .biz use."
I reply:
Nowhere in their application do they state that they intend to do this nor is it clear how it could be achieved without extensive screening. Nor do they state what in their eyes would constitute legitimate business use. Even if they were to intend to do this how, could this be achieved? Certainly they could for example review a business plan of the applicant or look at their financial statements as we propose. However “producing proof” requires someone to review the proof and as each case will be different this is not something that can be managed automatically. If so maybe they could suggest a way. They have certainly not done so. If they intend to use some sort of manual checking it is not clear what this is or how this could be managed at the price they propose.

You say:       
“If someone lies about who they are.. and goes about creating false identities managing 5000 diffrent e-mail addresses...to obtain 5000 diffrent domains and Paying for each domain... it sounds more like a logistial nightmare rather than an actual for profit idea... in essance there is NO way someone will go through all the trouble to manage 5000 e-mail addresses just to go cybersquating... I can't see it happening... and suppose they decide to put them all under one domain... like all go to cyberhacker@yahoo.com then cyberhacker1@yahoo.com then cyberhacker3@yahoo.com that would surly raise all sorts of red flags... in essance it just can't happen that way... Idomains took all the neccessary actions to stop that sort of activity.”

I reply:
IDomains specifically states that they will never limit the number of registrations of any given applicant. An applicant is therefore free to register as many names as they wish using a false identity, several false identities, or even their true identity. In any case under the iDomains proposal as stated iDomains will not prevent them from doing so. If you read the proposal differently please quote specific text saying where such plans are stated.

Also in your reply please state whether you have any affiliation with any of the applicants.

Many thanks

Phil Berent
Head TLD Management Group, Affinity Internet, Inc

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy