Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fcfs
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 8:28 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 4.0
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN -- What is your definition of competition?

ICANN was started by the federal government SPECIFICALLY to embrace competition in the domain industry.  ICANN seems to hammer IOD's lack of technical expertise to operate the .WEB registry in their staff gTLD report.

Have we forgotten our commitment to competition, ICANN?  All companies start from the ground up.  How can you expect IOD to be as large as Afilias or Network Solutions when IANA did not enter .WEB into the root servers as they promised back in 1995.  Name one company that did not start from humble beginnings and build up.  The only reason Network Solutions is large at present is because of their prior monopoly over the .com, .net and .org namespaces.

It seems that ICANN has implemented a new constituency, in clandestine (their normal mode of operation), solely for member companies of Afilias.

You will notice in the ICANN staff briefing regarding new gTLDs that no additional, negative comments were presented regarding deficiencies in the Afilias applications.

Do not be fooled into believing, people, that IOD operates a less than technically adept registry.  I have visited their website and reviewed their policies, and I have experienced nothing but rapid response and supreme service.  Furthermore, I have been an avid internet user and programmer for several years, and I feel that I can distinguish between a well-designed system and a poorly-designed system.  IOD is more than prepared to bring the internet into the 21st century. 

The only way to operate the internet is on a "First Come, First Served" basis.  Regarding the .WEB registry, IODesign was clearly there first.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy