Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: shawn
Date/Time: Tue, November 14, 2000 at 7:55 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.04 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: We Need More Generic Names

< >

I understand what you are saying, however I disagree with your approach to new TLDs. .COM, .NET and possibly .WEB do appear to be very similar. What differentiates them is how they market their name and business. Lets say I run an entertainment business primarily as a "clown". I need a catchy name to stick right? Okay clown.com is gone clown.net is gone also, and so is clown.org! What to do? clown.web - maybe even clown.biz or clown.site? They aren't available yet, but I hope they might.

I really don't care if the TLDs are hard to differentiate because I am a "clown", and I want it to be a short memorable name. Clown.co-op doesn't work for me. Neither does clown.travel, but clown.web does beautifully!

Why should the original "clown" .COM, .NET, and .ORG have the monopoly to the "clown" name exclusively? When you look under the yellow or white pages for "clown" you will probably see several names listed. Okay, with that same logic shouldn't someone be allowed to let their fingers do the walking, and type in i.e., clown.com, clown.net, clown.org, clown.web, etc to find the same type of services? Suppose clown.com sucks? Then I might type in the .NET address, or the .ORG. I believe all generic names like "clown" should be available to all - that is why I support several new TLDs being chosen because it allows someone with a business to attain a name they might otherwise have no chance in getting because all the good names were taken long ago.

If you ever watched SNL you will know what I am talking about. Have you ever heard of clownpenis.fart? It's all the person could come up with seeing he waited too long to register a business name. The episode was not about a clown - I just used it as an example above to try and get my point across, that we need more generic names so businesses can have fresh opportunities to register better names for their business.

We need more generic names, i.e. .shop and .web

Shawn Kelly

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy