Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Dunbar7376
Date/Time: Tue, November 14, 2000 at 9:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: ABACUS/Popular Names

As a registered member of ICANN, I must admit I am puzzled and even a little embarrassed by the association of which I am a member. To disregard some the most popular potential new TLDs (as reflected in the MSNBC poll) such as .xxx and .fam is without question a mistake.

And, as diametrically opposed as these two new potential suffices seem to be, what better way for ICANN to reflect the vast spectrum of the Internet than to welcome these new domain extensions to the .com, .org and .net family? Add to this the more eCommerce and eBusiness-oriented proposals such as .biz and .inc, and we start to flesh out a little this varied and dynamic spectrum, ultimately leading to what all the contributors to this forum and ICANN should strive to attain: a way to best serve the internet user by offering her a way to build her store, or search for a site, or whatever she chooses to do with her domain, using the most appropriate category as to be outlined with these new TLDs.

May I also add that, as a web hosting consultant, I have dealt with numerous domain name registrars and, without exception, the only company I can reliably call upon to answer my calls personally and to otherwise take care of various customer issues (changing DNS, contact emails etc.) both politely and expeditiously is ABACUS (which registers names under the www.names4ever.com moniker).

We need to support companies that can manage the administration of new TLDs in a measured and responsible manner - with the user in mind, including the assurance of user confidence - ahead of companies whose approach is less than professional and their services inaccessible.

For this reason, as a registered member of ICANN, I ask that they reconsider their current approach, please restore the more popular domain names that have been demoted, assign friendly and professional companies such as ABACUS the ability to register names under these new TLDs, and for ICANN to ultimately resubscribe to some of its stated goals (visit Report on TLD Applications: Background http://www.icann.org/tlds/report/report-i-09nov00.htm for more info). This includes, amongst other things, the enhancement of competition for the registration of services and the coordination of the policy through private sector, bottom-up, consensus-based measures. Awarding TLD registration capabilities to a conglomerate of registrars posing as a fresh new applicant most certainly goes against this sentiment, not to mention that it is simply a bad idea.

Finally, all we can ask is that ICANN reexamine its originally stated goals and adhere to them. This upcoming decision will affect the internet for years to come, and we need to place future domain name registrations in the hands of people we can rely on.

Dunbar7376@aol.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy