Return to atlarge Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Thomas Lowenhaupt
Date/Time: Sun, March 5, 2000 at 12:56 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.51 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Comments on At Large Membership, Nominations, Voting...

Comments of Thomas Lowenhaupt, March 4, 2000, toml@communisphere.com.

NOTE: While I offer the following comments concerning the proposed election criteria for the At Large Council, I am fundamentally opposed to a two step election process for the At Large board seats. However, being aware that this faulty process might move forward, I offer these comments on the proposed At Large election.

Q.A.1. Should ICANN require additional
                  qualifications for at-large membership?

Answer:  I'm uncertain what is meant by a "functioning email address" in this questions' scoping - no reference having been made to a "functional" physical address. But if the intent was to assure the member has the ability to send and receive email through an individual address, I'd say such an email address should be the maximum qualification.

The net is having a significant impact on us all - users and non-users alike. I'd look to expand suffrage beyond this as soon as practicable. Outreach and education will be required. Perhaps election authorities in the various place-based communities might be persuaded to assist in this expansion. 

Q.B.1. At what point should membership
                  registrations be considered to expire for
                  purposes of data verification?

Answer:  Until we have a better feel for voter interest in the ICANN and its election, I'd resist removing members from the voting pool; especially when 5,000 members are required to keep the At Large ship afloat. Err on the side of caution and opt for a three year membership.

Q.D.1. In general, what should the
                  nomination process be?
                  Q.D.2. What nomination criteria should
                  apply to candidates for the At Large
                  Council?

Answer:  Requiring expressed support of 10, 50, or 100 At Large members is an excellent method for narrowing an overly large candidate field. However, this is only fair if you are playing on an even field. Here we need to level the playing field. Let me use the undersigned as an example.

To my knowledge, I am not aquatinted with anyone who is an ICANN At Large member. So, if the ICANN was to set a very low criteria, say that a nomination merely be seconded, that would be enough to knock someone like me out of the field.

So we must first do the leveling. There are several way to level, the simplest being through self-nomination. Each such nominee should then be provided with an opportunity to do two mailings to the membership. You might want to limit the mailing size but not its content, i.e., allow them to send a site's address rather than the site itself.

(Each mailing should also educate the recipient about the upcoming election and the official ICANN Candidate web site.)

After the two mailings you may then require a certain minimum "expressed support" to become a certified candidate.

Q.D.3. What nomination criteria should
                  apply to candidates for the ICANN Board?

The At Large Council should set the criteria for candidates to the ICANN board. They should be able to choose from amongst themselves or any other ICANN member.

Q.E.1. Should the Board maintain the
                  principle that the regional members of the
                  At Large Council be elected solely by the
                  residents of the candidates' regions?
                  Q.E.2. Should candidates for the At Large
                  Council all run globally, or should
                  candidates choose between global and
                  regional candidacies?

Answer:  Regional apportionment in the existing Supporting Organizations has guaranteed a measure of diversity on the ICANN board. Regional voting for the At Large Council is too complex: in the short term it will advantage the Americans and in the long term the Asians. But by having global elections, we make the At Large Council a global body, and we acknowledge there is but one Internet and one people. ICANN'a At Large board members, elected by and shouldering global responsibility, will act as global citizens.

Q.E.3. Should members cast unweighted or
                  preferential ballots for At Large Council
                  seats?

Answer:  In my community we use preferential voting for school board elections and unweighted for all other elections. Even thought the totaling process is quite befuddling in the preferential method, its precision outweighs the majoritarian aspects of an unweighted system.

Also, I suspect a computer animated explanation of the preferential totaling process could more clearly explain the basis for the outcome of this voting method.

Q.E.5. Should individual ballots be made public?

Answer:  No. Keep them secret.

Q.E.6. Should ICANN (or a trusted third
                  party) confidentially retain ballots to allow
                  for independent verification of individual
                  votes?

Answer:  Yes.

Q.F.1. Should independent election
                  monitoring be incorporated in the At Large
                  membership election process?

Answer: Yes.

Q.F.2. Should independent verification of
                  ballots be incorporated in the At Large
                  membership election process?

Answer:  Yes.

Q.G.1. What avenues for campaigning
                  should be made available?

Answer: Each candidate should be provided with the following:

I. Three mailings to the At Large membership. The mailings are to be performed by an independent authority on a schedule determined by the candidate. The size of the mailing may be regulated, but not the content, e.g., you can make reference to a web site but you can't send it. (Each of these messages will also include general ICANN elections information in its trailer - election date, campaign web site, etc.)

II. An ICANN sponsored Campaign Web Site should provide access to candidate information in an unbiased format - i.e., random and changing, not alpha. The site should include:

A. Mailings - The three candidate mailings should be made available.
B. Forums - These should be active for the full campaign period and be of two types: general forums on names, numbers, protocols, etc.; and candidate chosen forums, where each of those running should have the opportunity to choose a forum on a topic of import. 
C. Chat and Conference - Like the forums, these should focus on general areas as well as those chosen by individual candidates.

Q.G.2. Should ICANN provide a forum in
                  which members can post comments on
                  particular candidates?

Answer: Character endorsement and assassination should be part of campaign. But members should be able to delete their postings from this and the other forums.

Q.G.3. Should ICANN attempt to limit
                  campaign expenditures? If so, how would
                  ICANN monitor and enforce the limitations?

Answer: The ICANN should try to limit campaign expenditures by prohibiting communication outside the prescribed channels. A description of any violation should be mailed to members, before the voting begins.

Q.I.1. Should ICANN require that no more
                  than half of the At Large Council members
                  come from any one geographic region?

Answer: No, it is one globe, one Internet. The existing supporting organization memberships guarantee some regional representation.

Q.J.1. What should the duties of the At
                  Large Council be?

Answer: Since I don't believe in an At Large Council, I certainly wouldn't suggest giving it any ongoing duties.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy