Return to atlarge Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: gregh
Date/Time: Tue, March 7, 2000 at 10:08 PM GMT (Wed, March 8, 2000 at 9:08 AM EADT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Net and impact - something considered or not?

> The net is having a significant impact on us all - users and non-
> users alike. 

Without meaning to direct this at the poster but at ALL reading this and most especially ICANN, I have to bring something forward which has been on my mind for years now.

I have been using electronic communication via computer since 1983 when I first got my very FIRST modem, the fastest available in Australia, a 300/300 which you had to flick a switch on to issue a carrier. Obviously this isnt as long as a lot of people but it DOES reflect 17 years.

Obviously, I became interested in BBSs in the days before Fido had any impact on Australia and thus set one up for myself and other people to use. Eventually Fido made it here and it changed the BBS world significantly. We had access to overseas thought at low cost to those of us who didnt actually make the overseas call to pick up data and messages sent could expect overseas replies within a week and if you got it just right, a few days. It went ot rather well for a few years and then the political beasts, sensing a cauldron of "perceived power" made THEIR impact and began the degradation of the whole process. A lot of people eventually decided that the fighting wasnt worth the effort and some of the more enterprising created their own versions of Fido with different names and different numbering systems to represent the nodes participating in that network. I was a member of Fido and 2 other networks for some time.

What I wish to bring forward is that right now Internet is still an infant in many ways. Political posturing is now starting to surface here and there. Is ICANN ready for it? What's to stop a few aggrieved people with the ability to do so actually setting up a backbone not using Internet but using the same software and thus having yet another Internet, degrading what we have now? Face it - it MAY be costly to do that but the rewards, if properly done, are there. It cant be ILLEGAL to do so via any country's law right now because I doubt any legislators have even dreamed of such a thing happening, yet there it is, as a possibility.

Sounds farfetched doesnt it? In Fido, no-one really saw the same thing happening there until it was a reality. I hope Icann are intelligent enough to realise this possibility and address it.

Regards, Gregh.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy