Return to cctld Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: tawe
Date/Time: Sun, March 19, 2000 at 3:10 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.08 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Comments on Ms. Porteneuve's and Mr. Kleinsin's Submissions

Good day. I was very intrigued by some of what I read in your comment.  I am concerned about the "serving the public interest" requirement for ccTLD registrars in RFC 1591.  I am uncomfortable about the fact that ICANN/IANA is not required to examine in any detail the qualifications that prospective registrants have to serve the public interest in a particular country before the delegation is made.  The Pitcairn Island example case is the result of such superficial examination.  IT appears from your comments that you may share this view.  Yet, I am not sure that ICANN/IANA are in a position to make judgements about the public interest of any country.  On the basis of what can anyone make such judgements?  There will always be people bound to disagree with any standards.  However, I do not think that it would be too much to impose on a would be ccTLD registrar a requirement to publicise itself within the country and to set up a system that would democratically determine what is of local concern and interest to people in that country.  There are, as you probably know, countries in which the residents are not even aware that they have a registrar because the only focus of that registrar is registring .co or other second level domain names for profit outside the country.  What do you think of this suggestion.  In addition, there are certain countries, especially in Africa, that do not have the communication network system to support internet services.  How can their interests be known? In such situations, do you think that it will be too much for ICANN/IANA to insist that a registrar work towards providing such service since it is beyond doubt that access to the information super highway is in the interest of every world citizen?  I am little uncomfortable with Mr. Kleinsin's suggestion that some ccTLDs that are obviously competing with gTLDs should be treated the same way as the latter in future ICANN plans.  Where the inhabitants of the country have no idea that they even have a registrar, it is a bit much to just shift the ccTLD for that country to a gTLD treatment, unless, of course there is a chance to get another ccTLD that the inhabitants of that country can have access to on their own terms rather than on terms dictated by a profit seeking foreign registrar. 

I only recently started following the ICANN initiative and I will appreciate both your comments, especially if I am misinformed. Thank you.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy