Return to geo Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Klensin
Date/Time: Wed, June 14, 2000 at 1:17 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Statement of the country classification questions

It seems to me that the questions about classification of countries for assignments to regions may (inadvertently I'm sure) be badly stated and that a restatement may be appropriate.  I'm going to focus on the "middle east", since some of the questions are more clear to me, but similar issues may apply to the Caucasus. E.g.,

(i) It is noted that address allocations for the Middle East are handled by RIPE-NCC.  But the question posed is whether Middle Eastern countries should be allocated to Africa or Asia.  RIPE-NCC is nominally a European organization.   Should including these countries with Europe be an additional possible choice?  Or, stated differently, why was that possibility excluded from the question as stated?

(ii) The definition of "middle east" is historically quite fuzzy. Would the Board or Staff kindly list the countries considered to be in each category for regional allocation purposes and, having done so, indicate whether all of them necessarily must be assigned to the same region or whether different allocations can be considered?

(iii) There is a case to be made that at least some of the countries on the Mediterranean coast of Africa are more European-facing or Middle Eastern in character than they are similar to most of the sub-Saharan countries.  Assuming that all of them are not considered "Middle East" today (see (ii)), should an additional question be posted as to whether some or all of these countries should be considered part of Europe or the Middle East rather than Africa?

(iv) My vague recollection has been that there was also some discussion as to whether some or all English- and/or French- speaking countries in the Latin America/Caribbean region should be reclassified into the North American one.  Since it might inform the two listed questions, has that issue been resolved, and, if so, how?  And, if it has not been resolved, should it be listed as well?

Note that I don't, personally, have strong opinions on any of these questions: I merely believe that it is important that they be raised, both to increase the probability that discussions of the issues be using common language and assumption about what is being discussed and to make it more likely that optimal regions can be achieved.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy