ISPA UK statement on Management of Internet Names and Addresses

Honorable William M Daley
Secretary of Commerce
c/o Karen Rose
Office of International Affairs
National Telecommunications and Information Administration
United States Department of Commerce
14th and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20230

Dear Secretary Daley,

The United Kingdom Internet Services Providers Association (ISPA UK,
http://www.ispa.org.uk) is a trade association representing Internet
Service Providers providing most of the Internet connectivity in the
UK.  ISPA UK is a member of EuroISPA (http://www.euroispa.org), the
pan-European federation of Internet trade associations.

On behalf of ISPA UK I would like to express our support of the
recently-submitted statement of Dr Alfred Eisner of NLIP, the Dutch
Internet trade association, regarding shortcomings in the structure
of the Internet Corporation for Names and Numbers.  A copy of Dr
Eisner's statement is attached.  Please note that it is also endorsed
by eco, the German Internet trade association (http://www.eco.de).

In a letter to you on 2 October Dr Jon Postel of IANA proposed that
ICANN assume responsibility for the management of Internet names and
numbers, in effect subsuming IANA's existing role in this regard.
That is, ICANN is to become the "new corporation" of the recent
White Paper on this subject.

The objective of this new corporation is the self-regulation of the
Internet industry.  It is therefore surprising to us and a matter of
great concern that the Internet industry has not been consulted in
regard to the selection of the Initial Board for ICANN, nor do its
articles and bylaws give the world's ISPs any particular voice in
its management.  In light of the fact that we are the industry being
"self"-regulated, in light of the fact that there are at least
proposals that the ISPs should fund the new corporation, and in
light of the fact that industry cooperation is essential to the
new corporation's success, this is inexplicable.

While the rapid pace of developments in this area have made it
impossible for the EuroISPA council to meet to formally ratify
Dr Eisner's statement, we know that other ISPs across Europe feel
the same misgivings about the lack of ISP representation in the
management of the new corporation.  In fact we know of no ISP
association anywhere in the world that supports it.

We do not wish to delay the transition to the new system for
global management of Internet names and numbers.  We believe that it
is vital that IANA's role in this be maintained.  However, we also
believe that it is essential for the success of this exercise in
industry self-regulation that representatives of the industry being
regulated have a significant voice in it.  Without the participation
and the endorsement of the ISPs, it cannot succeed.

To this end we propose that the NTIA delay acceptance of the IANA/ICANN
proposal until such time as they agree to negotiate in good faith with
representives of the global Internet industry, with the object of that
negotiation being a voice for industry in its self-regulation.

Yours sincerely,

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316

-------------- FOR NLIP, THE DUTCH INTERNET TRADE ASSOCIATION -------------

October 12th 1998