> >Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 01:30:53 -0400
> >From: James Love <love@cptech.org>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list <roundtable@cni.org>
> >Subject: CPT notes from OECD E-Commerce Conference in Ottawa

> >Info-Policy-Notes | News from Consumer Project on Technology
> >October 19, 1998
> >

> >          Notes from the OECD October 7-9, 1998
> >        Ministerial Meeting on Electronic Commerce
> >                at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> >
> >                     October 9, 1998
> >               James Love love@cptech.org
> >             Consumer Project on Technology
> >                 http://www.cptech.org/
> >
> <snip>
> >
> >     The OECD meeting is one of several events unfolding that
> >will define new forms of governance for the Internet.  This
> >concerns profound issues.  Internet commerce is global, and hence
> >our entire framework for speech, commerce, censorship, and
> >communications are being thrust into an environment where
> >national laws are, some say, no more than a local ordinance on
> >the information superhighway.
> >
> >     Moreover, the early debate is far broader than issues
> >regarding harmonization of laws or coordination of enforcement.
> >It is more than the debate to determine if traditional government
>
> >roles in protecting consumers will be abandoned.  It is also a
> >debate about whether or not governance itself will be privatized,
> >and whether democratic traditions can survive in cyberspace.

  James and CPtec is exactly correct in their concerns.  These concerns are
heightened
by the lack of proper determination of BOD members of the ICANN that are
represented in the Draft-5 of the ICANN.  The need for a true democratic
self determination from the Stakeholder/user community is paramount indeed.
Unfortunately the ICANN Draft-5 doesn't provide for that to occur and opens up
the Stakeholder/user community to gross fraud and abuses of many kinds.

  It is for this reason and many others we (INEG. INC.) determined in
conjunction
with many other organizations made some tough decisions in our proposed
improvement draft to the NTIA upon the NTIA's gracious requests for comments
and alternative to the ICANN Draft-5 proposal.
See:  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/ineginc/ineginc.htm
For further details.