FW: .TJ NIC Statement RE: Proposal: RFC1591 and ICANN

-----FW: .TJ NIC Statement RE: Proposal: RFC1591 and ICANN-----

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: "William X. Walsh" <william@tjns.tj>
To: govt-role@worldnames.net, member@aptld.org, wwtld@ripe.net,
 domain-policy@open-rsc.org
Subject: .TJ NIC Statement RE: Proposal: RFC1591 and ICANN
Cc: bod@nic.tj
Bcc: pchammer@pacbell.net

On 22-Oct-98 J. William Semich (NIC JWS7) wrote:
> Hello members of the govt-role wwTLD list;
>
> In its recent letter to ISI requesting some changes to the bylaws for
> ICANN, the US Department of Commerce's NTIA asked ICANN for an
> elaboration about ICANN's intentions with respect to ccTLDs.
>
> I think it is time for us to come up with a proposal to submit to wwTLD
> and/or our regional groups (CENTRE, LACTLD, NATLD, APTLD and AFTLD) on
> this issue, and ask them to forward it to ISI/ICANN.
>
> I'd like to propose language that I hope we can all agree to support as
> a proposal for ICANN to adopt:
>
> "The ICANN agrees to continue to use RFC 1591 as the basis for any and
> all actions it takes, or any role it assumes, with regard to the
> two-letter ISO 3166 TLDs commonly known as Country Code TLDs (ccTLDs)."
>

> We need to reach some kind of agreement on some kind of language pretty
> quickly.
>
> Does anyone have a strong objection to this language? Would you propose
> alternative language? My hope is that it is general enough that it would
> generate consensus from all of us, regardless of our particular
> positions with respect to government roles in ccTLD activities. It was
> also pretty much the generally accepted position that came out of the
> IFWP, I believe.
>
> In effect, it is neutral and status-quo oriented.
>
> If there are no strong objections, can we propose something like this
> language to the regional TLDs and/or wwTLD ASAP to be submitted to
> ISI/ICANN? I don't think it would be a good idea to just sit and wait to
> see what language ISI comes up with on its own, and I have no idea who
> among the ccTLD managers they might decide to talk with instead of all
> of us....
>
> Thanks for your feedback...
>
> Bill Semich
> bsemich@mail.nu
> .NU Domain

Hello Bill.

On behalf of the Board of Directors of the .TJ NIC :

After a volley of email on our internal list, the .TJ NIC issues the following
statement :

The .TJ NIC, in co-operation with the Tajikistan BBS Operators Group, the
Tajikistan Amateur Radio League (TARL), who are co-managers of the .TJ Top
Level Domain,  endorse the following proposed language to be added to the ICANN
bylaws as proposed by Bill Semich of the .NU Domain:

> "The ICANN agrees to continue to use RFC 1591 as the basis for any and
> all actions it takes, or any role it assumes, with regard to the
> two-letter ISO 3166 TLDs commonly known as Country Code TLDs (ccTLDs)."

We strongly urge all ccTLDs to endorse this language, which does not preclude
legislative authority by countries over the ccTLD.

Language such as this is required to insure stability of operations over the
ccTLDs.  This entire process was about removing the government from day to day
management of the Internet.  The Internet is a network or private networks, and
as such, should not be managed by any government or groups of governments.
This does not preclude Governments from using legislative means to set policy
on Internet issues within their country, but ensures that Government
Bureaucracy will not bog down the day to day management of the Internet.

We urge those active in the meeting just held in Barcelona, and the meeting
coming up in Monterey, to actively seek such language from the ICANN.  We ask
that the Boston Working Group, and the Open Root Server Confederation, in their
talks with the ICANN over consensus issues to seek this language as well.