Re: [ifwp] Re: Time for accommodation

Milton and all,

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Roberto:
> The situation is very clear. As you note, most people endorsed "ICANN" as the
> *vehicle* for moving forward, because of its association with Postel and the old
> IANA. At the same time, most commentors criticized the *substance* of the ICANN
> draft along lines that were very similar to the amendments proposed by BWG or
> ORSC. There was also a lot of discontent with the interim board of directors,
> relating to both process and specific omissions. (Keep in mind that the BWG
> draft is essentially a set of amendments to the ICANN draft, and that the ORSC
> draft is essentially a set of amendments to the BWG draft.)

  Yes indeed the ORSC and the BWG drafts are essentially amendments tothe ICANN/IANA
Draft-5 proposal.  However our proposal
see: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/ineginc/ineginc.htm
is both a revision of the IANA/ICANN and also adding two very essential
sections for improvement to the ICANN/IANA Draft-5 proposal  that have
vastly more support than the ORAC or the BWG drafts have combined.  And
we suspect significantly more support than the ICANN/IANA Draft-5 proposal
has as well.  This is not known however in that the IANA/ICANN has yet to
provide for its basis for its support.  We have however.  >;)

> USG appears to have read the comments the same way you did and I did. They
> expect to work with ISI to incorporate ICann, but they are not satisfied with
> the draft. They realize that the public comments support the substance of the
> dissenting drafts of BWG and ORSC. This does *not* mean that BWG or ORSC *as
> organizations* have "more" support than ICANN. It means that their proposed
> amendments of the ICANN draft have more support than the unamended draft.

  This is also in doubt as well judging from Eric's post earlier today.  However
ourdraft, see:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/ineginc/ineginc.htm
can indeed show greater support and provide documentation for that support.  Not
only is it questionable that the BWG draft in particular questionable as to its
support from the IFWP as it does not provide for a Initial Individual Membership
Organization which was one the consensus of the IFWP (See reports on the
www.ifwp.org site for Geneva and Reston conferences).

> Therefore, ICANN must negotiate with BWG and ORSC as to how it will amend its
> draft.

  Yes, and it must negotiate with us as well.

> I hope you will support this arrangement.

  In part yes we do.  However you left our draft out as part of you comments
hereMilton.  :|