Re: [ifwp] Re: A New Beginning

At 08:15 AM 9/9/98 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
>Among those who are aware of the IFWP process and especially
>among those who attended the various regional conferences, there
>is in fact a good deal of misgiving on the peculiar way in which
>the process ended, with the wrap-up conference cancelled because
>IANA and NSI refused to attend.

Among those who are aware of the IFWP process and especially among those
who attended the various regional conferences, there is in fact a good deal
of misgiving about the peculiar way in which some people tried to change
the process and add activities and positions which were not part of the
stated goals and which were never agreed to.

Among many of those same people, the current activities by a few people
claiming to represent the IFWP and the Internet community are well
understood to be misguided, at best.

>This sense of frustation and concern is plainly evident on the
>email lists used for public discussion of these issues.

Indeed.  And the remarkably small number of people demonstrating that
frustration is equally evident.

>On the other hand I know few people who are "quite positive"
>about the current developments at IANA and NSI.  The IANA drafts
>ignore the recommendations of the White Paper, they ignore the

In your opinion, perhaps.  In the opinion of many others, the IANA drafts
are responsive to the White Paper.

>The IFWP promised an open resolution of this problem and in fact

The IFWP made no such promise.  It promised to hold a series of meetings.

It did that.

That is all it promised to do.

d/

Dave CROCKER <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>     Brandenburg Consulting

Tel: +1(408)246 8253     Fax: +1 408 273 6464        Tel: +60(19)3299 445
675 Spruce Drive     <http://www.brandenburg.com>     P. O.  Box 296, UPM
Sunnyvale, CA 94086                               Serdang, Selangor 43400
UNITED STATES                                                    MALAYSIA