nIANA Board - Start-up

Jon,

May I make a suggestion in relation to the proposed start-up of the
Board of nIANA.  In the pre-amble to the new Proposed Byelaws, Section 3
states that the representatives of the three Supporting Organisations
would join the Board after the At Large members are appointed. (see
below).

I would think that it may be unlikely that there will be rapid agreement
on the At Large members and that there exists a risk that the start-up
bootstrap process will be delayed by whatever concensus mechanisms will
need to be in place (most likely involving governments and global
industry representative organisations) to achieve this.

However, it is likely that embryonic Supporting Organisations could be
created quickly, based on the existing active participants, and that
they could nominate initial/interim directors quickly.  There is ample
evidence that the existing Address organisations, Domain Name
organisations (cc and g), and the IETF/IAB are well organised and could
quickly provide initial/interim directors.

I suggest that the most expeditious mechanism for the start-up bootstrap
process is to leave open which grouping - At Large or Supporting
Organisations - should form the first part of the initial/interim
board.  I think that it is likely that the embryonic Supporting
Organisation will be ready first.

I do think that a bootstrap process will be necessary - and that an
evolutionary process must be in place to enable the Supporting
Organisations evolve into the necessary broad representative
organisations we need (as proposed in the Byelaws).

These comments are made from the perspective of urgent practicality -
without attempting to compromise the evolution of the nIANA as
required.  By urgent practicality I mean the need to ensure that the
existing operational management of the Internet continues smoothly and
uneventfully across the September 30 deadline.

Dennis

3. ... stuff deleted...  To meet these objections, the Initial Board was
restructured to consist of nine persons (denominated At Large), to be
joined after the creation of the New IANA by representatives of the
three Supporting Organizations following their creation and recognition,
and eventually by the President (when selected) of the New IANA.  The
Initial Board is then specifically charged with
establishing the final composition formula for the Boards to follow it,
and the means by which those Boards will be
selected.