Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

-----Original Message-----
From: vinton g. cerf <vcerf@MCI.NET>
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>; brian@hursley.ibm.com
<brian@hursley.ibm.com>; me@hursley.ibm.com <me@hursley.ibm.com>;
discussion-draft@giaw.org <discussion-draft@giaw.org>;
anybody@hursley.ibm.com <anybody@hursley.ibm.com>; Stef@nma.com
<Stef@nma.com>; ietf@ietf.org <ietf@ietf.org>;
DOMAIN-POLICY@lists.internic.net <DOMAIN-POLICY@lists.internic.net>;
comments@iana.org <comments@iana.org>; Iana@iana.org <Iana@iana.org>;
List@giaw.org <List@giaw.org>; newcase.atr@usdoj.gov <newcase.atr@usdoj.gov>
Date: Saturday, July 11, 1998 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

>Masataka,
>
>my impression is that the WP was pretty open about the
>leadership/oversight of the new IANA and only recommended
>that the organization be incorporated in the US.
>
>Is the site of incorporation an issue in your view?

The White Paper makes it clear that the existing IANA
(i.e. Jon Postel et. al.) are to be the base to build from.
As I have said, I do not agree with that decision but I
also can not change that decision. I doubt that anyone
can change that decision at this point in time. Instead,
I think that people have to work with it and try to build
what they want on the foundation that the White House
was forced into selecting...

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com