Re: Tired of Waiting

At 11:00 AM 7/14/98 -0700, stef@nma.com wrote:
>Be very careful about "perpetual care" pricing.  ANSI adpted it for X.400
>ADMD and X.500 Distinguished Names, and came to a price od $2000.

Hear, hear. Every business I know that's tried this has been buried by it.
The more common form is selling a software package once, with free
unlimited support. Been dere, done dat, never again. Support costs eat you
alive, especially when you get calls on a package that went out of
production four years ago.

>The problem is that perpetual care requires that the initial (only) fee
>must b large enough to endow care and feeding of the administrative
>requirements for ever, hence the fee must yield a large enough capital
>investment to provide for perpetual care.
>
>I call this "Cemetary Plot Economics"...
>I think you do not really want to go there.
>
>A reasonable contractual guarantee of price levels should suffice.
>
>Cheers...\Stef
>
>At 10:02 14/7/98 -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>>If their contact includes terms that guarantee *future* prices, then you'd
>>>have a cause of action. If not, you're probably out of luck.
>>

>>As I've said, Image Online Design has been advocating this for over a
>>year now, but the "non-profit-only" proponents seem to want to ignore it.
>>
>>How about another possibility: a registry charges a SINGLE ONE-TIME
>>FEE for registration, with NO YEARLY RENEWALS. Updates to the
>>domain are charged a flat $5 per change, and this, too, is contractually
>>locked. You now have a FLAT RATE WITH NO POSSIBILITY OF CHANGE.
>>
>>You now have TWO solutions to this problem.
>>
>>As I've said, there is no economic reason to mandate an absence of
>>profitable registries. None.
>>--
>>Christopher Ambler
>>Personal Opinion Only

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com>rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!