Re: Yet another analysis of the NSI/IANA deal

At 09:50 PM 9/17/98 -0700, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Richard J. Sexton wrote:

>So, because there is no working definition that suits you, you would deny
>representation to those that might fall under this classification?

It's not a question of a "working definition that suits me" it's
a quesiton of the lack of ANY definition. Ok, Patrick, you're
a registrar. So is anybody that ever regstered a domain for
anybody else. Where do you draw the line ?

>The company that I work for has built a successful business with domain
>name registration and providing DNS services at its' center. We are not a
>registry, and have no interest of being one at this time. We do however
>stand to be deeply affected by any changes that the new organization might
>make. Given this fact, domain name "registrars" as a category have an
>absolute right to be represented in this organization.

I don't see how. You buy for X and sell for 2X (or whatever) and in a
sense, you really don't care what the costs are, you just mark them up
sell more.

>> 3) the organization is subject to capture by a large group of registrars. A
>> registry may "proclaim" any number of registrars; currently there are
>> 230 or so TLD registries in the legacy root. If they "created" say 5000
>> registrars the voice of registries is obliterated; this organization is
>> subject to capture.
>
>The same could be said about registries. Anyone with a PC could set up
>shop claiming to be a "registry."
>
>Both need to be defined. Both need to be represented.

Thats sorta my point...

--
"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts
those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are