Re: [ifwp] Re: new iana draft bylaws

Prof. Mueller begins his critique of Mr. Dixon's request for a stable DNS
by noting that he is:

 "an unbiased academic scholar"

and finishes his posting with the following:

[let's] not feel
that we have to kiss the ass of a bunch of powerful but slow crybabies who feel
threatened by it. No special representation for trademark interests. No! None!
--MM

Prof. Mueller supports his "unbiased" view towrads trademark owners with
the following:

"It is now an established fact that brand name holders have been as likely
to abuse
the NSI dispute resolution process as to be abused by name squatters."

Professor, please cite a study which you didn't write which backs this
proposition.  Established facts tend be those which are uncontroverted.  I
think your facts are wrong.  I note that when Ms. Kleinman stated in a
posting to this group on Friday that "all studies"  supported her point of
view, I wrote in asking her to cite "all studies."  She did not respond.

Mr. Williams has written with a similar unsubstantiated endorsement of your
"fact," suggesting at least a willingness to believe your view (if not a
desire to analyze it).  I agree that cases like pokey.org, juno.com and
prince.com might make us feel that the "little guy" is getting picked on,
but that does not support the position that trademark owners are the true
villians of DNS abuse.

And by the way, the juno.com, prince.com and pokey.org situations were all
made possible by NSI rigging a policy that was uninformed by the most
important principles of trademark law. The abuses of the NSI process is an
argument for a good system, not the absence of a system.

As far as the general tone of your and Mr. Williams' response that this is
somehow a "big trademark owners vs. pioneers of the Internet" fight, let me
ask your opinion on something.  Certainly you would agree that YAHOO and
AMAZON.COM are the kind of heroes you are talking about, the kind of brands
we need to see flourish.  Well, what about the guy who registered
amazom.com, and the company (Data Arts) which registered every variation of
yahoo (i.e. ayhoo.com), which practice seeks to syphon off business from
these sites - is that the big trademark owners pushing the little guy
around, or is it an authentic threat to e-commerce, if we have no
procedures in place to stop these activities?

And how precisely would having a fair system of adjudicating domain name
disputes constitute a threat to today's heroes of e-commerce?.  Give us a
fact pattern.

I believe that Prof. Mueller is leading you folks down the garden path.
The irony of the situation is that domain names will only become a valuable
form of intellectual property if it has a stable system of allocation and
enforcement.  The DNS should DIALOGUE with people who are familar with the
world's trademark systems so that the DNS can LEARN from the world
trademark systems and adapt them to fit the uniqueness of the DNS.  I say
this because domain names are more like trademarks then they are like any
other form of intellectual propety (and you know domain names are a form of
intellectual property because people pay more than their face value for
them).

stating that domain names do not function as trademarks, that they are
merely "sttrings" flies in the face of your own experience, everytime you
type in yahoo.com, aol.com, microsoft.com (well, you may have other
feelings when you type that in), excite.com, cnn.com, msnbc.com, etc.,
etc., etc..

If you follow Prof. Mueller's ideas that there should be a zillion TLDs
which "de-couple" themselves from brands, and there be no safeguards,
dispute resolution mechanisms, no rights protection systems - then domain
names will be valueless as identifiers, and companies will realize they are
better off with random character strings as domain names, and will have to
rely exclusively on trademark protection to protect their branding.

P.S.  My comments refer to commercial uses of the Internet.

P.P.S. Stating that the U.N. agency known as the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO) should not advise the DNS on intellectual
property portection because it is "biased" towards trademark law is like
stating that you should not go to a doctor for medical advice because he or
she would be biased towards medicine.  Don't disqualify someone because
they know what they are talking about.