Re: IFWP Geneva: media reports

Ellen and all,

Ellen Rony wrote:

> Links to these short articles on the IFWP/Europe, and other related
> reports, are at www.domainhandbook.com/giaw2.html
> ______
> *  Domain Debaters Are Given Deadline Warning, by Andrew Craig (TechWeb -
> July 24, 1998) - http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19980724S0007
>
> GENEVA -- President Clinton's Internet adviser issued a stern
>  warning to Internet-community members Friday to reach a consensus
> about the future of Internet-address management, or risk losing control
> of the process.
> [snip]
> "We won't accept two different proposals," Magaziner said, emphasizing the
> Sept. 30 deadline. If you do [submit two proposals], I will just send you
> back and lock you in a room until you do find consensus. You've got to come
> out with one opinion," he said.
> [snip]
> Magaziner said some in the U.S. government, who would prefer to  continue
> governing the Internet, are watching and waiting for self-governance to
> fail.

  This conclusion that this article seems to reveal is that there is a likelihood
that
there is a determination that the efforts underway starting with Reston and now
Geneva are expected no to be successful.  Should that be the case or result, we
can look forward to what the nIANA's bylaw proposal has set forth.  And that would

be a sad consequence indeed as it doesn't provide for stakeholder direct input.

> * Magaziner Wags a Finger at Domain Name Forum, by Elizaeth Wasserman
> (Industry Standard - July 24, 1998) -
> http://www.thestandard.net/articles/article_display/0,1449,1203,00.html
>
> "What I don't want to see happen," said Ira Magaziner, special advisor on
> Internet issues to President Clinton, "is to be sitting here two, three or
> four months from now with you squabbling about what is going to happen .
> The forces that want to exert more control will use that as an excuse."
> [snip]
> Christopher Wilkinson, an advisor to the European Commission DG XIII, the
> body that handles information technology policies said none of the
> questions from the floor had dealt with support for domain name registries
> being run on a
> for-profit basis, or opposition to suggestions that the World International
> Property Organization be asked to play a greater role in resolving online
> trademark disputes.
>  "Some issues I hope are behind us," Wilkinson said.

  Yes an Jon Postels comments were also quite interesting in this article as well.

To Wit:
"International support is key to the success of the process. Jon Postel, director
  of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, which is essentially being
  reorganized into the new nonprofit entity, said he believes that no one country
–
  namely the United States – should have a majority representation on the board
  of directors. The board, he said, also needs to represent a variety of different

  interests – business, technical, social and political. "

Yet the nIANA's own bylaws, most especially belie his own statement here.
(See www.iana.org/bylaws.htm) for further details.

And also to wit:

"But while the domain name process is being watched as a model to resolve
   other international Internet issues, Postel emphasized that he does not want
   the new entity saddled with any vexing issues other than domain names. "I
   would not like an organization focusing on domain names to get involved in any
   of those other issues," he said, listing off such quagmires as tax policy,
privacy
  and content regulation."

  We are sure that Jon doesn't want the New Entity getting involved in other
issues
indeed.  After the rather heavily disputed formation of ARIN for example without
any Stakeholder determination dealing with the allocation policies of IPv4 IP
block allocations that was hotly opposed on ARIN's own mailing list and based on
out of date "Quasi-standards" known as RFC's (Requests for comments) namely
RFC1918 and RFC2050, which disadvantages small ISP's and startup ISP's
unfairly thereby being a restraint of trade issue.

> * White House says naming handover on track, by Matthew Broersma (ZDNet-
> July 24, 1998) -
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/zdnn_smgraph_display/0,3441,2122791,00.htm

>                        ** www.domainhandbook.com **
> NOW AVAILABLE!   E. Rony and P. Rony, The Domain Name Handbook: High Stakes
>                     and Strategies in Cyberspace (R&D Books), 1998
> Ellen Rony                    "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog."
> Director, Alexander Works                               \\
> Tiburon, California 94920                          \     @@==*
> 415/435-5010                                        ======
> erony@marin.k12.ca.us                              //   \\

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.