Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Dixon <jdd@matthew.uk1.vbc.net>
<snip>

>In actual fact, the risk is not all that great, because the operators of
>the Internet will simply take alternative paths.  And the role that IANA
>has had at the heart of the Internet will fragment and gradually disappear.
>
>We need a strong IANA, a global focal point for the co-ordination of
>Internet activities.  We don't need an Imperial IANA, laying down a new
>world order.  However, we cannot continue to rely upon an
>IANA-of-the-techies.  What we need is both technical competence and
>worldly wisdom in equal balance.

Jim,

Please read your own words above. In my
opinion, they show that you do not know what
you want to see in the IANA and I have a
feeling that you do not know what the IANA
currently does.

As an example, does the IANA currently add
the entries into the IN-ADDR.ARPA zone to
delegate /8 blocks of IPv4 address space to
regional registries or companies ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com

P.S. Above you are advocating an implosive
approach where all mass and power moves
to the center and is controlled by a few. I hope
that you are aware that I am an advocate of the
Internet model where people continue to try
to move mass to the edges, away from the
center, thus distributing power and control.
Are you aware that the current IANA appears
to be doing more of the later than the approach
you want which is implosive ?