IANA, Cult worship? Was[ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

Tony and all,

Tony Rutkowski wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> >results, and incorporate the good points."  Apparently, IANA decides which
> >points are good regardless of what the IFWP participants may think.  That
> would
> >explain why some of the IFWP results were ignored.
>
> In addition you have the fundamental accountability questions like:
>
> 1) who exactly is "IANA"?
> 2) have you ever seen "IANA" justify or explain anything?

  As to #2, they don't feel that they NEED to explain anything, much like
ARINdoes currently.  They shun accountability whenever and however possible.

> The whole scheme is modelled after a religion with IANA
> representing, for example, the "Papacy," and the edicts
> constituting doctrines of faith.

  And as we have said for some time now, it is the "IANA Worship" that
isextremely troubling, and in our opinion quite dangerous to the stability
of the internet community.  Many whom worship Jon Postel as a GOD like
figure are very concerning indeed to us and should be to everyone.  SHould we
call these discussions the "Internet holly wars", in the future?

> This is why it's critical
> in any new organization to establish accountability provisions
> including a requirement to articulate the reasons for decisions.

  Very strongly AGREE!  It is absolutely essential!