Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

Craig and all,

Craig Simon wrote:

> Tony Rutkowski wrote:
> > 1) who exactly is "IANA"?
> > 2) have you ever seen "IANA" justify or explain anything?
> >
> > The whole scheme is modelled after a religion with IANA
> > representing, for example, the "Papacy," and the edicts
> > constituting doctrines of faith.
>
> An intriguing analogy, nicely satirical, but not really fair. Many people find
> immediate practical real world benefits from the ability to reference the names,
> numbers, and protocols coordinated through the IANA. Religious institutions
> claim supernatural authority, and then claim to provide gatekeeping functions
> into other supernatural worlds. The IANA, however, is focused on helping us get
> by in the here and now.

  Yes that IANA is "Supposed" to help the internet community get things
accomplishedin the here and now and they have done so very well until an up to the
past
two or three years.  Most pointedly in the past year and a half.  Yet some on this
an
other mailing list that have bee discussing and debating the issues of what, and
how the IANA has done seem to do so with a nearly cultist fervor, and especially
in the personage of Jon Postel.  He even looks the part along the lines of some
greek orthodox priest of sorts.

  Yes now we have many examples that have been presented on this an other similar
mailing lists that the IANA is not quite a "Papal" as some would have us believe.
For instance, in short, the IANA has not been able to get gTLD's or TLD's other
than ccTLD's entered into the Root structure, they have, without the any real input
from the internet community delegated the allocation of IP addresses to RIR's
that have in many cases abused that function.  And instead of seeking the
input from the Internet community as part of the "Public Good" service, they have
chosen, like a Papal entity to dictate in nearly a religious fashion how these very
central INternet resources should be managed.  And "EVEN NOW" there
are some that are the "Cultist Followers of His eminence, Pope Jon Postel"
that the IANA should not participate in a organized compromise meeting with
the IFWP in constructing what the NTIA and its white Paper have directed to
be done.  It appears like something out of the Dark ages almost.  Sheesh!

> But you have a vaild point. What about this sentimental loyalty to the IANA (you
> know very well what it is) and Jon Postel? Many people think his reputation was
> acquired by merit.

  And his reputation was indeed acquired by merit.  No one that I know of
woulddispute that.  But now is now, and than was than.

> There's a lot of respect out there for Postel's steady,
> consistent effort on behalf of a process that overall works pretty well. You may
> not agree, but quite a few people think that the IANA has provided a kernel of
> stability and order which has enabled a great deal of innovation.
>
> "Faith," like any fixed belief, promises a payoff. In this case, it delivers.

  Unfortunately in the past two or three years, they have NOT delivered.  Hencethe
steady eroding in loss of faith.  ANd also hence those that remain are no more
than cultists.

> The acclamations and ovations reflect two things. A real appreciation for his
> achievement, and also an impulsive, defensive bonding against apparent efforts
> to fracture the Internet by disrupting that kernel.

  That kernel is already fractured.  The trust that the IANA once enjoyed is not
longerthere.  They as I mention above and others have obviously observed over the
past
two years, have failed to perform.  The IANA has lost site of the realities of the
huge growth of the Internet.  As Jim Dixon put it, it needs fresh blood.

> I think it would be a shame if I* and the MoUvement boycotts Boston. Of course
> the new IANA should be made more accountable. But some people would clearly
> rather depose a Pope (or perhaps exorcise the Devil). What space do they leave
> for compromise?

  Popes have been deposed many times, yet the church moves on, al be it in asomewhat
different form.  This is the just the normal flow of history.  As to
exorcising a Devil, that is something that also can be done as well.

  You know Craig, for someone that is supposed to be just an observer and working
on a doctorates dissertation, you seem to have such a narrow sense of the real
history and history in general.. For one whom should command much in his learning,
you
seem to grasp so little.