Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Gomes <cgomes@internic.net>
To: IFWP Discussion List <list@ifwp.org>
Date: Sunday, August 30, 1998 8:18 PM
Subject: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

>Craig,
>
>If I understand what you said below, then I conclude that root server
coordination is
>a critical function.  Recent history has demonstrated that IANA does not
have the
>authority to do that.
>
>Chuck Gomes

That is a well-documented fact. In my opinion,
that is one of the reasons why I do not think
that people should get their knickers in a knot
about some small, NON-PROFIT, company that
Jon Postel and his ITAG advisors are trying
to start in California. Furthermore, I do not think
that people should get concerned that Jon Postel
will enter into the Root Name Server business
because that is a business "ordinarily carried
on for profit" and that would violate the IRS laws.
I am sure that Jon Postel and the ITAG would not
want their new non-profit company to violate the
law as its first order of business.

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/eo/index.html

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/eo/bus-orgs.html

@@@@ http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/eo/bl-req.html

"No part of its net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private
shareholder or individual and it may not be organized for profit or
organized to engage in an activity ordinarily carried on for profit
(even if the business is operated on a cooperative basis or produces
only sufficient income to be self-sustaining)."

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com

P.S. If the IETF people thought that they were applauding
for Jon Postel to somehow enter the Root Namer Server
business, then they may have been better served to have
read the proposed IANA documents, to study what IANA
does, and to be better advised by the IAB. One would hope
that the IETF people were not cheering to encourage Jon
Postel to break the law.