Re: [ifwp] Re: infinite delays and questionable precedents

Jim and all,

Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > At 06:26 PM 8/30/98 -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:
> > >NSI will be in limbo.  Big deal.  If it shuts down a.root-servers.net, the
> > >others will continue to operate.
> >
> > 1.  well, actually, Karl, yes it is a big deal.  if NSI is allowed to
> > retain control over the operation with no required, formal association,
> > then it's legal position with respect to intellectual property claims, etc.
> > is automatically strengthened.  Or, at least, that is what assorted
> > attorneys have claimed.  The claim certainly matches my totally superficial
> > and amateur understanding of US law.
>
> To most people, this would be a very strong argument for completion of
> the IFWP process and the production of a single, compromise set of
> articles and bylaws from the various drafts floating around and the
> results of the IFWP process to date.

  Yes it would be a very strong argument to produce a consensus IFWPset of bylaws
and articles of incorporation.  We have suggested this several times,
and offered a basic outline for doing so as a draft.

> > 2.  This has dragged on for 4 1/2 years.  When are we (finally) going to
> > deliver product?
>
> Who is trying to block any compromise?  What group has managed to put off
> the IFWP wrap-up conference over and over again?  What interests are
> holding out for a no-compromise solution and the inevitable deadlock
> that that will lead to?

  Good questions all here Jim.  We all of course know the answer as well.That
being the ISOC, IANA, IAB, MoUvment folks, and the IETF, though the
IETF to a lesser degree.  All of the other participants in the IFWP process
seem to wish for a compromise meeting to take place and truly work out
a compromise.  These parties or constituents (See above), don't want
to do so for some odd reason.

  The only major draw back is that this proposed CLOSED meeting is not in
keeping with the IFWP process and is exclusionary.  This is where the gist
of the problem seems to be at the moment.