ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

Response to proposals (revised) for new gTLDs

  • To: <2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Response to proposals (revised) for new gTLDs
  • From: <peter.taylor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:22:02 +0000

I am responsible for information security (including assurance of the security
of our Internet customers) for an established financial services business.  In
this role I have noticed a significant trend towards use of
internet domain capture and brand impersonation as part of a range of attempt
to misdirect or defraud our customers.

Reading through the proposed framework for the new generic TLDs I am concerned
that this proposal will bring about significant escalation of this type of
fraudulent and/or malicious activity.

Customers on line are already faced with a daunting level of complexity in the
navigation of on line services.  They can be forgiven to some extent for not
clearly understanding the risks posed by misleading web domains or
misdirected search results even given the current domain space available.

This limited understanding in the consumer community leaves the onus on service
providers and 'Internet structural' organisations (including ICANN)
to provide protection and safeguards against fraud on line.  As a result
organisations offering services via the internet already have to invest
disproportionate effort and funding in to managing and tracking use of
their brands on line.  This is both to protect their business and to protect
customers against fraud such as 'phishing, 'pharming' and other 'scamming'
activities.

The proposed extension to the gTLD space seem to me to increase the burden on
consumers and service provider without addressing the structure for management
of web domains to offset these risks.  This can only be to the
detriment of consumers, business and ultimately the Internet as a whole.

To address this I would like to see ICANN consult more widely with the Internet
business and service communities, and also with consumer organisations in all
of the major geographic areas to assess and address the impact of imperfect
domain management on these stakeholders.  I would
also expect introduction of new gTLDs to be accompanied by stronger of
protection for brand owners.  This might include more stringent controls within
the registration process and also more pro-active controls around
the integrity of registrant data.  This should have a particular focus on
consumer facing brands, for example an increased 'burden of proof' of ownership
of a trademark brand before rights to a related domain are granted.

I would also like to endorse the recommendations of other bodies in regard to
this, particularly the submission from Irfan Salim President and CEO of
Markmonitor Inc.

Yours Sincerely

Peter F Taylor CISSP, CITP, MBCS
Information Security Manager