ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

Draft Applicant Guidebook ver 2

  • To: "2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Draft Applicant Guidebook ver 2
  • From: Jaser Elmorsy <jaser.elmorsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:57:36 +0000

To: ICANN
From: Jaser Elmorsy

I'm the CEO of BlueBridge Technologies, a software development company
headquartered in Europe.  My company does business in the Arabic world,
including an office in Cairo with about 35 employees there.

I attended the ICANN meetings in Paris and in Cairo, where I raised my concern
about the current disparities between gTLDs and ccTLDs in when and how IDN
versions of these TLDs will become available. I explained why it would be a
major threat for international businesses, especially Small and Medium-sized
Businesses like mine if the ccTLDs are offering IDN domains on a much faster
timeline than IDN gTLDs. There is no way I want to register BlueBridge.net in
over 20 Arabic ccTLDs. All I want is the ability for my clients and employees
to be able to use all-Arabic script for their BlueBridge.net emails and domain
names.

At the microphone, I asked how ICANN can ensure that at least the current gTLDs
are allowed to offer their IDN domains at the same time as the ccTLDs are going
to offer them. The response to my comment at the time was essentially ‘don’t
worry about that’. But as I follow current developments with ICANN’s planned
delay of launching new gTLDs, I see that my concerns were justified. I have to
express my major disappointment with how my issue as a small business is being
dealt with - if not even to say: not being dealt with.

For all businesses, but especially for small businesses like mine that use the
web and want to work in the Arabic-speaking world, this issue is not trivial.
It could directly shape my company's ability to grow, to employ local
Arabic-speaking professionals and to make money. By fast-tracking the existing
gTLDs (like my own .net) ICANN can solve this problem for the benefit of all.

Jaser Elmorsy