ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-transition]

Unilateral language isn't helpful

  • To: 3gtld-transition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Unilateral language isn't helpful
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:44:29 -0500

The "cocktail napkin" Susan Crawford spoke to at Cairo hasn't gotten any better between DAGv1 and DAGv3.

I think all of us who have contract management experience understand why Staff is attempting to create a system which scales, and which is amenable to reasonable change, but I don't think any of us who've a registry contract, or implement its operational performance, understand why Staff gets something this fundamental so fundamentally wrong.

Registries and their operators have a long-term relationship with Staff, and that relationship isn't improved by unilateral language in the contract, which, of necessity, will create unilateral counter language in the conduct, in policy formation, in cooperative response to generally adverse events, and in undetectable operational practice.

We shouldn't be building a new contractual culture of surprise and distrust, as the "scaling solution" to having more than 21 contracts.

As always, in an individual capacity, though I'm employed by CORE which has an interest in the subject matter.

Eric Brunner-Williams