ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-contention]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

Community Priority Evaluation

  • To: 4gtld-contention@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Community Priority Evaluation
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:00:11 -0400

This comment concerns the basis on which the calculations for Community
priority ratings are done.

The Integer scale that the staff has picked does not allow for sufficient
differentiation for those doing the calculations.  It is, I believe, a
reflection of the one size fits all problem that ICANN often experiences in its
implementations.

In almost all of the criteria, the decision is on a 3 point scale, though in
some cases it is only a binary scale.  The criteria, are not, however that
Black, Grey and White (or Black and White in the case of the binary selections)
so the discrete scale will end up evaluating various choices with the same
metric even when they may be qualitatively different.  Since only 2 points can
be lost in the evaluation, such a rough scale will exclude possible communities
who have near misses on the criteria, but who must be marked down a whole
point, instead of a more appropriate .5 or even .2 points.

I recommend that the evaluation procedure not use a gross integer measure that
will miss the nuances in these difficult and crucial criteria.  I recommend
that the scale be changed to a real scale that allows for discrimination in
terms of tenths of a point instead of in terms of whole points.

I believe that making this change will make the decision procedure more
sensitive, while still providing a bright line between those applications that
merit community priority and those that don't.

Avri Doria
Individual Opinion

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index