ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-evaluation]

Annex - Separable Country Names List

  • To: <4gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Annex - Separable Country Names List
  • From: "Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos" <p.papaspil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:08:00 +0300

To whom it may concern,

Regarding the "english short name" of the country officially named FYROM
(The Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia), it must be stated that the word
"Macedonia" must be removed as the record - with the class B1 indication -
of the respective cell under the "separable name" column of the table in the
Annex of Module 2 of DAG4 (page 36 of the document
"draft-evaluation-procedures-clean-28may10-en.pdf"). The fact that the
english short name "Macedonia" is used by a number of countries does not
change the truth, that there is an ongoing dispute between the Hellenic
Republic (Greece) and FYROM over the official name of FYROM, which is being
discussed for many years in the United Nations, without resulting in any
conclusion so far. So, especially for this case, there is no official "short
name" for this country and, since we believe that DNS should be kept outside
of such sensitive issues, the word "Macedonia" must be removed.

On the contrary, the word "Hellas" should be added as a record of a
respective cell under the "separable name" column of the table in the Annex
of Module 2 of DAG4 next to "Greece", with the class B1 indication, because
this is a commonly used "english short name" of our country, Hellenic
Republic (Greece), which we believe that should be equally protected.

Yours sincerely,

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos

Accredited Representative of Greece at GAC

Telecommunications Expert

Hellenic Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport & Networks

General Directorate of Communications

2 Anastaseos Str. Papagou,

10191 Athens, Greece

tel: +30-210-6508538