ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-evaluation]

Comment on Module 2: String Similarity Review

  • To: "4gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx" <4gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on Module 2: String Similarity Review
  • From: Vassil Petev <vpetev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:03:02 +0300

Hello,

My name is Vassil Petev, a Bulgarian citizen, and a Unit Manager in an
established Bulgarian IT company.

I am submitting this comment on behalf of Bulgaria, the Cyrillic speaking
community around the world, and the company I work for.

This comment has also been submitted to the GNSO Council on July 2, 2010 to
support GNSO Council's request that the Applicant Guidebook section on
"Outcomes of the String Similarity Review" be amended to allow applicants to
request an Extended Review under applicable terms similar to those provided for
other issues such as "DNS Stability: String Review Procedure".

I do believe however that my comments are relevant to the Draft Applicant
Guidebook v4 as well, more notably to Module 2: Evaluation Procedures, Section
2.2.1.1: String Similarity Review.

I hereby present to you my view and understanding of the application process
for cases where strings are "confusingly similar" to other TLDs and/or ccTLDs,
and request that these views are taken into account, and ultimately included in
the Draft Applicant Guidebook v4. My views and perceptions are backed up with
two real-life examples, the first one concerning my country, Bulgaria, and the
second one covering a case with the company I work for. The attached document
provides insight and analyzes in detail on:

1.      The case of the Cyrillic ccTLD for Bulgaria (*.бг) and the Latin IDN
for Brazil (*.br):

o   Putting *.бг in context, or what is ICANN staff missing in their current
evaluation criteria for confusingly similar strings?

o   Brazil's IDN vs. Bulgaria's IDN

o   Analysis from a user point of view

2.      The case of the Cyrillic gTLD *.ком (for компания) and the Latin gTLD
*.com (for company)

o   Putting *.ком in context, or what is ICANN staff missing in their current
evaluation criteria for confusingly similar strings?

o   Fraud and companies operating in Cyrillic speaking countries, and providing
*.com domain owners the right of first say to secure their domains in the
Cyrillic version of .com

3.      Why this matters to me: The history of the Cyrillic alphabet

I will be glad to assist you if my services and knowledge are required to
protect the rights of the people and companies that do business in
Cyrillic-speaking countries.

Regards,

Vassil Petev
Unit Manger