ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

Health TLD

  • To: <4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Health TLD
  • From: "Damian Mitsch" <Damian.Mitsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:48:22 +1000

I'm not sure where in this process this fits so I've included comments
on the guide.

Whilst I recognise the potential for an expanded number of TLD's, the
sale of TLD's needs to be balanced with sound public policy.

One example is the potential use of a dot hlt or dot health TLD to
signify health providers. Health providers are currently limited to
using TLD's created for commercial organisations. Consumers will find it
increasingly difficult to differentiate between legitimate health
providers and general commercial organisations. I call on ICANN to
reserve TLD's where public interest does or should outweigh commercial
interests.

In addition, I raise concern that TLD's such as dot physio could be
misused and potentially breach national laws. In Australia, the use of a
physio.au TLD by anyone other than a registered physiotherapists would
breach registration laws. I would argue that a representative
association such as ours could manage such a TLD however the fees are
prohibitive for small not for profit organisations. I call on ICANN to
protect some names in the public interest.

Damian Mitsch
Deputy Chief Executive Officer

Manager - Corporate Services

Australian Physiotherapy Association
National Office
e: damian.mitsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
w: www.physiotherapy.asn.au <http://www.physiotherapy.asn.au/>
p: (03) 9092 0888 | f: (03) 9092 0899

                www.physiotherapy.asn.au/congress10
<http://www.physiotherapy.asn.au/>

Email Disclaimer
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and
immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this
email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any attachments
are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the
responsibility of the recipient.

GIF image

JPEG image