ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

General comment: raising the operational costs beyond need

  • To: 4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: General comment: raising the operational costs beyond need
  • From: Amadeu Abril i Abril <amadeu.abril@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:18:40 +0200

CORE would like expressing its concern regarding a general trend with each new
version of the DAG: more and more technical and operational requirements are
added, all of them well-intentioned, and wise... if we take as a model a big,
standard, mass-registration-oriented TLD. But the effect of each new version is
seriously raising the operational costs for all sort of TLD registries, when
most of them don’t need the highest possible standards. We would like asking
ICANN staff to keep in mind that one size does not fit all, and that a small
community oriented TLD with a relatively compact geographical area of influence
might not need, for instance, 24/7 customer support at all levels. Nor many of
the security-oriented additions.

Amadeu Abril i Abril
CORE Internet Council of Registrars