ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

Comments from CNNIC,"Paired delegation of Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese gTLDs should be allowed!"

  • To: <5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments from CNNIC,"Paired delegation of Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese gTLDs should be allowed!"
  • From: "Sun Xiantang" <sunxiantang@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:58:45 +0800

To Whom it may concern,

We find that the progress on exploring solutions to variant management seems
paused and even drawn back according to this AGB. We have growing concerns
about whether it's compliant with ICANN's Bylaw to avoid this challenge of
variant management (in particular variant involved delegation), especially
when it's affecting billions of global users' right of using the Internet.
For Chinese users, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese are ONE
language and they are identical. Based on millions of Chinese users' right
of using the Internet and their usability and readability, we encourage and
welcome paired delegation of Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
gTLDs.

Global Chinese-language users, no matter whether Simplified Chines(SC) or
Traditional Chinese(TC) they use, are never so close like now with the help
and development of technologies. No doubt Internet is one of the most
essential means which help bring global Chinese users together and assist
them in accessing rich online information coded in either SC or TC. It is
especially true when Chinese using Internet users are distributed across the
world. According to Chinese national statistics of international tourist
arrivals, in 2009 there were a total of 33.18 million visitors to mainland
China from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macao; the number of tourists from
mainland China to those three regions reached 34.78 million. The number of
global overseas Chinese is about 48 million according to a national analysis
report in 2008.

Considering millions of Chinese users' interest and right of accessing both
online content in SC or TC, any attempt to separate SC from TC would
constitute a cultural segregation because it shall lead to user confusion
and result in the marginalization of millions of users who view SC and TC as
essentially identical.

On the other hand, allowing SC and TC strings identically adopted as IDN
TLDs offers tremendous convenience to Chinese users whose keyboards, input
methods, and sometimes display methods support only one or the other. Some
research has shown that Chinese users expect both versions of domain names
to be held and used by the same registrant. A survey conducted by CNNIC in
2009 indicated that 95 percent of respondents are eager to own pure Chinese
domain names. Based on this research, we strongly oppose delegating only one
version of a Chinese gTLD to an applicant, which will surely deprive the
registry operator, CDN registrants, and Chinese users worldwide of the right
to properly use CDNs.

Dividing SC and TC or trying to undermine the identicalness of them, would
impede millions of Chinese users' use of the Internet when navigating using
CDNs. Therefore, we suggest that the AGB should allow the paired delegation
of SC and TC gTLDs in order to bring better usability and readability to
millions of Chinese users.

Sincerely,

CNNIC

(China Internet Network Information Center)

www.cnnic.cn

  _____