ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[academia-nomcom]

Academia Representation on NomCom

  • To: <academia-nomcom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Academia Representation on NomCom
  • From: Roberto Gaetano <roberto_gaetano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 18:13:46 +0200

First of all, I would like to remind that the reason for assigning a seat on
the NomCom to the research and scientific academia community was to balance the
representation of the different stakeholders. In the current situation, it is
of grat importance to have the contribution from academia, bringing a voice
that is different from other parts of the internet community, and the
elimination of this seat could produce a NomCom that misses an important voice.
My understanding is that the main reason for the elimination of this seat is
the observation that over time no body has been created or appointed to take
care of this representation, and therefore the Board, via the Board Governance
Committee (BGC), has taken the task of making the selection. I have to say
that, having chaired the BGC, the selection of the representative of the
academia has been indeed time consuming, but never an impossible task, and that
I have received always good feedback from some NomCom members about the quality
of the representatives chosen.
This said, I agree that the BGC cannot take forever this task: a committee of
the Board cannot have permanently the power to influence a decision of the
NomCom.
However, with the review of the GNSO a couple of years ago, and with the
definition of a new structure based on stakeholder groups, that can favour the
creation of new constituencies, I believe that there is the possibility to give
a chance to the scientific and research academia to create a constituency, and
it would be worthed to suspend the decision of eliminating this seat at least
for one or two years, to see whether such a constituency will be formed.
I see that the charter of the Non-Contractual Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group
is also going through the public comment period. I see that in that charter the
formation of constituencies is defined by a specific process, and it is my
understanding that the creation of new constituencies will eventually take
place. So, considering that we have now a mechanism and the real possibility
for having an organized presence of the academic and scientific research
community in the internet policy making process, I wonder why at this very
moment we eliminate the possibility for this community to perform the task that
was assigned to it by the ICANN reform process.
Best regards,
Roberto Gaetano