ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-comments]

[no subject]

  • To: alac-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: James Michael <jamesrmichael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:08:47 -0800 (PST)

This is a short application to serve as an ICANN
at-large delegate.  My name is James Michael. Although
I am a US citizen, I lived in London for more than
thirty years, with time spend working and studying in
Sweden and various African countries.  For many years
I taught Information Technology Law, Media Law, and
International Human Rights Law on the London
University LLM.  I took early retirement to come to
the University of Cape Town as Visiting Professor.  My
BSc was in communications from Northwestern University
in Evanston, Illinois, followed by military service as
a US Marine Corps communications officer (captain).
My legal qualifications are JD (Georgetown), District
of Columbia Bar, LLM (London Scool of Economics) and
Diploma (Stockholm University)  My publications
include Working on the System (a guide to US federal
agencies, including chapters on the FCC and the
Freedom of Information Act), The Politics of Secrecy
(Penguin) and Privacy and Human Rights (with emphasis
on information technology - Dartmouth and UNESCO).  I
have been a member of the Legal Advisory Board to EU
DG XIII (Information Market) since it was formed in
1985, and have been a consultant to the EU, the
Council of Europe and the OSCE.  I was also Special
Advisor to the UK House of Lords Select Committee on
the Freedom of Information Bill.