ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-comments]

[alac-comments] ICANN@large fantasy continues ....

  • To: <alac-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac-comments] ICANN@large fantasy continues ....
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

The domain name system (DNS) is one of the most important infrastructures
on the internet.  Individuals who are internerested in DNS issues should
investigate this invitation by Danny Younger.  Danny is the former General
Assembly Chair of the Domain Name Supporting Organization (www.dnso.org)
of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(www.icann.org).

Danny has some strong comments for ICANN which I feel are completly
justified.  The U.S. government has made a mess of the domain name system
it was entrusted with.  All of the attempts to incorporate internet user
participation in the U.S. based DNS governance model has been a complete
fantasy - indeed a hoax on the global internet user base.  After all -
look at the people involved in the At-Large Advisory Committee.  The usual
suspects including one Ester Dyson who was recently shown the door by one
of the at large organizations.

But on the positive side of the equation the U.S. governments attempts to
control the DNS are based on a myth - i.e. that they are in charge of the
global dns.  This is not the case. It is true that most distributed DNS
software comes preconfigured with the USG root (government system) as a
default.  But that can be quickly changed with a text editor and five
minutes time.  In fact the truth of DNS control resides with the end
users.

Of course a non government DNS system now exists which replaces the
current USG model.

regards
joe baptista

Joe Baptista - only at www.baptista.god