ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-comments]

[alac-comments] Reply noted

  • To: alac-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac-comments] Reply noted
  • From: DannyYounger@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:42:50 EDT

Hello Denise,

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate being told that "The comment
period for draft At-Large Structure criteria/process and RALO guidelines has
been extended" -- although I haven't noted any discussion amongst the members
of the ALAC leading up to this decision...  of course, I wouldn't ever
presume that you are now making these decisions arbitrarily on behalf of the
Committee (as that would certainly be an abuse of process).

Let me thank you for the offer to post my remarks, but no thanks.  The
activity of re-posting is truly not too burdensome, but I am reticent to use
a forum controlled by the ICANN Staff (as I have noted the prior closure of
members.icann.org and have witnessed your complicity in the closure of ALSC
forum).  Frankly, and I hope you won't take this in the wrong way, from my
perspective you can't be trusted .

It was the recommendations of your Committee (you served as Executive
Director of the ALSC) that led to the elimination of publicly-elected
At-Large directors [Whereas, the Board agrees with the reservations expressed
in the ALSC Final Report about the validity and practicality of global online
elections...] -- so, I am not keen on your continued "assistance" in At-Large
efforts.  This kind of help I can do without.

Candidly, I also don't appreciate the fact that after the Accra Resolution
(which called upon the ICANN community to devote sustained energy to the
creation of At Large structures), you had in your possession a list of 6000+
names and addresses of At-Large members, yet you refused to make that list
available to those that were attempting to rebuild the At-Large.

Finally, with regard to respecting the need for private comments, I will note
that while all the public comments on the ALSC Forum were 100% in favor of
seating a minimum of nine At-Large directors, your Committee somehow found a
"consensus" for a reduced number of At-Large directors (no doubt, this was
your "private" comments at work).  But if you prefer your private back-door
dealings moreso than the open and transparent public record, who am I to
stand in your way?

Best wishes,
Danny