ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

sTLD conditions and oversight

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: sTLD conditions and oversight
  • From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:08:25 -0800

In ALAC's 18 October 2005 announcement, you say:

http://alac.icann.org/announcements/announcement-18oct05.htm

"The ALAC would like specific input from you on questions posted by ICANN
(see initial questions at <http://www.icann.org/tlds/new-gTLD-
questions.pdf>)."

One of those "New TLD Questions" posted by ICANN is:

"4. What conditions should ICANN impose on new TLD operators?....
d.....Can and should STLD use be governed by agreement?"

ICANN's bylaws require that "ICANN and its constituent bodies shall
operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner".

ICANN can delegate only that authority which ICANN possesses. It is
therefore an implicit condition of any delegation of authority by ICANN
that it the delagted authority is subject to this requirement to "operate
to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner".

But this condition has not been included explicitly in agreements between
ICANN and sTLD sponsors, and sTLD sponsors have made decisions with even
less openness and transparency than ICANN.  So I request that ALAC ask
ICANN to make this condition explicit in sTLD sponsorship agreements, and
to establish a mechanism for enforcing this condition.

sTLD sponsors have been, and I believe they should continue to be, subject
to conditions that the sponsor (1) operate the sTLD in the interest of a
specified community, and (2) provide specified mechanisms for
participation by that community in sTLD decision making.

Those conditions have been widely violated by sTLS sponsors, but community
members have had no means of redress for complaints of these violations.

ICANN has established procedures for disputes between registrants and
registrars.  But ICANN has never established or specified any procedures
for complaints, or for resolution of disputes, over whether sTLD sponsors
have complied with the terms of their agreements with ICANN --
particularly the conditions requiring that the sponsor operate the sTLD in
the interest of a specified community, and provide mechanisms for
participation by that community in the making of decisions for the sTLD.

Since this is an issue of the right of at-large stakeholders in those
communities to participate in decision-making that affects them and their
interests, this should be an issue of particular concern for ALAC.

I request that ALAC raise with ICANN the need for a mechanism for
resolution of complaints by community members against sTLD sponsors for
noncompliance with the conditions of their sponsorship agreements with
ICANN, specifically including compliants that an sTLD sponsor has not
operated the sTLD in the interest of the delegated community, or has not
provided mechanisms for community participation in sTLD decisions.

ICANN has not yet made *any* attempt to evaluate (1) whether sTLD sponsors
have complied with ICANN's bylaws on transparency and openness (as they
apply to delegations of decision-making authority), (2) whether sTLD
sponsors have complied with the explicit conditions of their agreements
requiring them to operate each sTLD for the benefit of  a specified
community (and *not* just, or primarily, for the benefit of the sponsor or
of those who control the sponsor), or (3) whether sTLD sponsors have
complied with the explicit commitments in their agreements to provide
means for community members to participate in sTLD decision making.

I discuss this essential missing piece of the evaluation that is supposed
to be part of the current new TLD "proof of concept" at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-strategy-draft/msg00002.html

I request that ALAC remind ICANN that this part of the evaluation of the
new TLD's has not yet been carried out, and that ALAC insist that this
part of the evaluation be carried out before  more new TLD's are created.

Finally, none of these or any other conditions are meaningful if there is
no oversight.  As a journalist directly and materially affected by the
lack of openness and transparency, I have requested that the lack of
openness and transparency in ICANN's decision-making on ".travel" --
including the holding of closed meetings, the refusal to permit my
participation in an advertised ICANN "press conference",  and the
withholding form public disclosure of numerous meeting records and
documents I had specifically requested and which it would have been
feasible to release -- be referred to an Independent Review Panel (IRP) in
accordance with Article 4, section 3 of ICANN's bylaws.  I have also
requested a stay of ICANN's decision, pending independent review:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000554.html

More than 6 months later, ICANN has taken no (publicly disclosed) action
on my requests for independent review and stay, and has given me no notice
of any meeting of ICANN or any subsidiary body to consider these requests.

I request that ALAC ask ICANN immediately to (1) stay its decision on
".travel" pending independent review and (2) either refer my request to an
IRP, or (if it lacks the policies required by its bylaws for doing so)
commence a bottom-up consensus-based process to develop policies and
procedures for referral of such requests to an IRP.

If these requests have not already been acted on by the time of drafting
of the agenda for the Vancouver ICANN meeting, I request that ALAC ask
that my requests for independent review, and stay pending independent
review, be placed on the agenda for the Vancouver meeting, and that ALAC
take them up with ICANN board and staff at the earliest opportunity.

I will be happy to meet with ALAC to discuss these issues.

Sincerely,

Edward Hasbrouck

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://hasbrouck.org>
+1-415-824-0214

"The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World"
(3rd edition, 2004)
"The Practical Nomad Guide to the Online Travel Marketplace"
<http://www.practicalnomad.com>