ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: New tlds worshop

  • To: John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: New tlds worshop
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:14:31 +0200

I am moving this to the public list.

John R Levine ha scritto:
This promises to become an enormous can of worms.  What happens if ETA
applies for .eus, or some Kurdish group applies for .kurd?

This is exactly why almost all government people in Geneva reacted to the approval of .cat with "Are they crazy?". Actually, both .cat and .xxx really contributed to make the people who are fed up with ICANN (and that usually see it as a group of self-appointed amateurs who mess up with very complex geopolitical issues that should be left to expert diplomats and government officers) even more fed up.

Roberto: My concern, of course, is not with the fact that governments are being involved, but with the apparent lack of a well established, uniform and publicly discussed policy. I've heard a senior ICANN Board member telling everyone "Don't worry, .cat will be the first and last geopolitical TLD in history"... and of course the reaction was, why that one and not others? When was this policy discussed, and by whom? Why can't we have a clear statement on what the policy is? Etc.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...