ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Mission and Vision Statements

  • To: "'ALAC'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Mission and Vision Statements
  • From: "Sebas Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:35:28 -0300

Bret, thanks for raising this issue.

I think that the definition you're proposing to the Mission of the ALAC is
very accurate. It is also in line with the ICANN Bylaws. It is of utmost
importance for all the members of this committee to have in mind the real
scope of our mission within this organization.

Talking about our vision :

I would like to reach the end of 2006 with the RALOs up and running. Our
work up to date has been very productive in some ways, especially on the
policy development side. We also have an interesting numbers of ALSs
certified, despite some believes - and sometimes even hopes - that we would
fail in this enterprise. On the other hand, there are a lot of things to
improve, especially on the operational side and the way we are working
together. However, I am sure that we will solve this problems and reach our
challenging objectives.

I have a different vision for the ALAC :

We should became a truly worldwide representative user group, advising the
ICANN board and facilitating the participation of the end internet user in
the Policy Development Process within ICANN. To ensure this participation in
a structured and informed way, we will deploy different regional
organizations, and we will be a vehicle of information between the ALSs
(that conform these regional organizations) and ICANN.

I do not envision any role of our committee beyond the ICANN mandate.

I hope that in a near future we could become more influential and get
financial assistance to the RALOs from ICANN, or any other body with ICANN's
support.