ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Resolutions on the Introduction of New gTLDs

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Resolutions on the Introduction of New gTLDs
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:16:23 +0200

Roberto (copy to Vint),

These are the resolutions I mentioned. As you'll see, the status quo is that ICANN has decided that it should introduce new TLDs "in a measured and responsible manner." A popular misconception is that this statement of policy applied only to the testbed. If you read the DNSO Statement, it separately accounted for the testbed. Now we either need to revisit the adopted policy or implement it.

   -- Bret

GNSO/DNSO RESOLUTION:
The Names Council...recommends to the ICANN Board that it establish a policy for the introduction of new gTLDs in a measured and responsible manner, giving due regard in the implementation of that policy to (a) promoting orderly registration of names during the initial phases; (b) minimizing the use of gTLDs to carry out infringements of intellectual property rights; and (c) recognizing the need for ensuring user confidence in the technical operation of the new TLD and the DNS as a whole.

Because there is no recent experience in introducing new gTLDs, we recommend to the Board that a limited number of new top-level domains be introduced initially and that the future introduction of additional top-level domains be done only after careful evaluation of the initial introduction.

http://www.icann.org/yokohama/new-tld-topic.htm#18/19April2000NCStatement

BOARD RESOLUTION:
Resolved [00.46] that the Board hereby adopts the Names Council's recommendation that a policy be established for the introduction of new TLDs in a measured and responsible manner.

http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-16jul00.htm