ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[alac] Re: [alac-admin] Pending ALAC administrative changes

• To: ICANN At-Large - Denise Michel <michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: [alac-admin] Pending ALAC administrative changes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:49:18 -0400

I agree with the substance of the change, but I wonder if it's procedurally worthwhile, given the effort to change a bylaw that won't make significant difference once changed (i.e., it makes little difference to ICANN power structures whether we approve none or all of the few ALSs who apply -- none of them has any power). If we have a limited amount of Board attention, wouldn't we be better off spending it asking for more significant changes to the way ALAC works and influences ICANN?

--Wendy

At 07:11 PM 9/23/2005, ICANN At-Large - Denise Michel wrote:
* Changing voting requirements for ALS certification:

Per the ALAC's discussions, the following bylaw change is proposed regarding ALS certification. Bylaw changes must be posted for public comment for 21 days and then approved by ICANN's Board. ICANN's legal counsel has been asked to expedite action on this. Prior to Board consideration, I'll draft a staff paper on the proposed change. It would be useful to include in the paper the ALAC's voting procedures. Based on email discussion thus far, they would be: ALAC chair calls a vote on an ALS application; at least 7 calendar days will be provided for ALAC members to cast their vote, and appropriate online means will be used to allow remote participation in the vote.

Please let me know if you have more/different suggestions for the ALAC's voting guidelines or any further comments on voting.

http://icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-08apr05.htm#XI

Section 2, paragraph 4(i):
... Decisions to certify or de-certify an At-Large Structure shall require a 2/3 vote of all of the members of the ALAC and shall be subject to review according to procedures established by the Board. .....

Replace with:
Decisions to certify or de-certify an At-Large Structure shall require a 2/3 majority among all of the members of the ALAC who cast a vote, provided at least 9 members of the ALAC cast a vote according to procedures adopted by the Committee. These decisions shall be subject to review according to procedures established by the Board."

* Stiall awaiting ALAC action is:

- Establishing minimum participation requirements for ALAC members
- Establishing new ALAC role descriptions and options

ALAC members were to make proposals on these via email for consideration/finalization in Vancouver.

Deise
michel@xxxxxxxxx

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy