ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: [alac-admin] Pending ALAC administrative changes

  • To: "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: [alac-admin] Pending ALAC administrative changes
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 23 Sep 2005 21:08:45 -0400

> I agree with the substance of the change, but I wonder if it's
> procedurally worthwhile, given the effort to change a bylaw that
> won't make significant difference once changed (i.e., it makes little
> difference to ICANN power structures whether we approve none or all
> of the few ALSs who apply -- none of them has any power).   If we
> have a limited amount of Board attention, wouldn't we be better off
> spending it asking for more significant changes to the way ALAC works
> and influences ICANN?

I think this is a necessary precondition, since without it, many ALS
applications will be stuck in limbo forever, with justifiable complaints
from the applicants.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor